Do It In Hawaii
The Web site for people who like to do it in Hawaii
Home - Hawaii Forum - Hawaii Calendar - Hawaii for Visitors - Hawaiian Music
  • How to Add Your Events to the "Do It In Hawaii" Calendar - View Calendar
  • How to Get Posting Privileges in the "Do It In Hawaii" Forum - View Forum
  • Subscribe to our free email Hawaii Travel Newsletter - View Sample Newsletter
  • Meet "Do It In Hawaii" editor Kathie Fry

• Go Back   Do It In Hawaii > General Interest Hawaii Forums > Main Hawaii Forum
    FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2008, 07:03 AM   #1
    Kathie Fry
    Forum Host

Default The Windiest Places in Hawaii

Here's something interesting I came across on the Hawaii State Web site: Diagrams of each of the Hawaiian Islands showing the most and least windy spots on each island. The maps at the top of the page are tiny but there are larger maps of each island further down.

Hawaii's Windiest Locations

I found that page when I was looking for information to back up this statement in the "Hawaii Facts" section of the 50states.com Web site: "The world's largest wind generator is on the island of Oahu. The windmill has two blades 400 feet long on the top of a tower twenty stories high."

I still haven't figured out which wind generator the above statement is referring to, and where it's located, but I did come across another interesting statement on the aboutmyplanet.com Web site: "The Parker Ranch Solar/Wind Hybrid Power Plant in Hawaii is the world's largest hybrid solar energy project."

That made me even more curious about wind-harnessing projects in Hawaii so I looked around on the Web and came across these pages:

Hawaii Small-Scale Energy Projects
    http://www.power-technology.com/projects/hawaii/

Hawaii Wind Working Group
    http://www.state.hi.us/dbedt/ert/wwg/
    (the links on the left side of the page are interesting)

This always happens to me lol... I come across one tiny bit of information that sparks my interest and it leads me to an all-day Internet and library expedition and exploration project. Anyway, some of the above is very interesting, and it would be great information to share with kids visiting Hawaii. I wonder if people can visit any of Hawaii's wind power facilities? I'll poke around and see what I can find out.

- Kathie
    Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-28-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
    billsjca

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
    Here's something interesting I came across on the Hawaii State Web site: Diagrams of each of the Hawaiian Islands showing the most and least windy spots on each island. The maps at the top of the page are tiny but there are larger maps of each island further down.

Hawaii's Windiest Locations

I found that page when I was looking for information to back up this statement in the "Hawaii Facts" section of the 50states.com Web site: "The world's largest wind generator is on the island of Oahu. The windmill has two blades 400 feet long on the top of a tower twenty stories high."

I still haven't figured out which wind generator the above statement is referring to, and where it's located, but I did come across another interesting statement on the aboutmyplanet.com Web site: "The Parker Ranch Solar/Wind Hybrid Power Plant in Hawaii is the world's largest hybrid solar energy project."

That made me even more curious about wind-harnessing projects in Hawaii so I looked around on the Web and came across these pages:

Hawaii Small-Scale Energy Projects
    http://www.power-technology.com/projects/hawaii/

This always happens to me lol... I come across one tiny bit of information that sparks my interest and it leads me to an all-day Internet and library expedition and exploration project. Anyway, some of the above is very interesting, and it would be great information to share with kids visiting Hawaii. I wonder if people can visit any of Hawaii's wind power facilities? I'll poke around and see what I can find out.

- Kathie
    sonme help try googling "MOD-5B Wind Turbine" look for it in google earth and you'll see where it was... it's no longer in existence, but th blades are on display .
    Bill

Last edited by billsjca; 12-03-2008 at 10:12 AM. Reason: name correction.DD CONTENT
    billsjca is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-03-2008, 12:25 AM   #3
    janneman

Arrow wrongly quoted?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
    "The world's largest wind generator is on the island of Oahu. The windmill has two blades 400 feet long on the top of a tower twenty stories high." ................
    personally i think the quote you found is a misinterpretation from this one;
    "In the simulated illustration above the Kipu Mountain range is shown with a line of Vestas NM82 windmills. The towers supporting the generators are 262 feet high. Each blade of the wind turbine is 135 feet making the total height of the windmill 397 feet; "(source)

So there was discussion about building windmills on the mountain ridge, that would be so and so high - but it never happened. Probably companies are hesitant to invest, because there was another project with windmills that ended up in a bankrupcy.
    janneman is offline   Reply With Quote